As the last of the gloomy winter days pass, it’s a great time of year to get out and about to make the most of the new Spring air. We’ve also got some great ideas for connecting to nature from your sofa!
If you’re looking to blow away the winter cobwebs and get some fresh air and a touch of Spring sun, have a look at our Explore map for over 60 places to go in the Dorset Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Whether you want to see the sea or explore wildlife inland, to let off steam with the kids or prefer a quiet ramble on your own, we hope you’ll find just the place to suit you!
With the Easter holidays comes lots of fun activities for the whole family at some of the country parks and visitor centres around Dorset. Our favourites are:
- Durlston Country Park for Spring is Sprung guided walks and Bonkers Bunnies Easter Trail.
- West Bay Discovery Centre for Easter fun and lots of art!
- Kingcombe Centre (Dorset Wildlife Trust) for Stream Dipping and Leaf Bunting Making events, as well as their wonderful reserve to explore.
- Kimmeridge Wild Seas Centre and Chesil Beach Centre for Easter trails with a difference – find out what a mermaid keeps in her purse!
Spring sees a lot of bird action, with some of the ‘earlybirds’ returning to the UK such as wheatear, chiffchaff, and sandmartin.
The RSPB reserves of Arne (near Wareham), Lodmoor and Radipole Lake (both Weymouth) are great places to head for some full on bird watching. Or enjoy the in-coming birds from your sofa with the live cameras in hides provided by Birds of Poole Harbour.
The longing for spring to arrive is a feeling we can all relate to. Our Stepping into Nature project celebrates the changes occurring in spring with the Seasons of Stories Spring book.
Download the book free from our website for stories, poems and illustrations that capture the shy and understated signs of early spring to an explosion of life, energy and vibrancy in late spring.
There are fresh options to choose from to get you out into the countryside without needing a car:
- The double decker Purbeck Breezer Bus is offering £2 fairs until June …. and glorious views from the top deck.
- You can now take the train from Wareham through to the Swanage Coast and historic Corfe Castle.
- Hire a Beryl Bike and explore Studland on 2 wheels from Poole over the Sandbanks Ferry.
More information about visiting Purbeck visit the Purbeck Heaths NNR website